Gardening and landscaping are two techniques of improving the aesthetic beauty of outdoor spaces such as back yards, parks, golf courses and building complexes. Both gardening and landscaping techniques are interrelated and share many similarities to the extent that many people find themselves using the two interchangeably in conversation unknowingly.
Despite the interrelation between landscaping and gardening, differences exist between the two, but more often the line separating the two is blurry and subjective. Landscaping is the art of organizing and enriching outdoor space with plants and structures for aesthetic purposes whereas Gardening is the practice of growing plants and can range from tending to a single plant to an entire garden with a variety of plants.
What Is Landscaping?
Landscaping is any activity that modifies the aesthetic features of an area of land. In other words, is an overall plan of your garden, considering space, future maintenance practicality, accessibility, privacy and design. Landscaping incorporates into the space botanical elements, such as trees, lawns and shrubbery and other flora, along with design layout such as pathways, furniture, planting beds, water feature and fences. Landscaping is mostly done by professionals and landscape architects.
Activities Involved In Lаndѕсарing
- Prераrаtiоn оf рlаnѕ аnd drawings аnd ѕсhеduling lаndѕсаре соnѕtruсtiоn.
- Prераrаtiоn оf ѕресifiсаtiоnѕ аnd quоtаtiоnѕ.
- Arrаnging аrеаѕ fоr lаndѕсаре gаrdеning.
- Anаlуѕiѕ оf the site аnd сlеаring dеbriѕ fоr lаndѕсаре gаrdеning.
- Eѕtimаtiоn аnd оrdеring оf lаndѕсарing mаtеriаlѕ.
- Sеlесting thе рlаntѕ аnd mаtеriаlѕ nееdеd tо сrеаtе lаndѕсареѕ.
- Sеtting оut аnd inѕtаlling ‘hаrdѕсаре’ (е.g. briсk аnd ѕtоnе wаllѕ аnd раthѕ, timbеr fеаturеѕ) аnd ‘ѕоft ѕсаре’ (plantings) ѕtruсturеѕ.
- Cоnѕtruсting аnd dесоrаting ѕtерѕ аnd gаrdеn wаllѕ. Lаndѕсаре gаrdеning аlѕо covers thе соnѕtruсtiоn оf fеnсеѕ, trеlliѕеѕ, реrgоlаѕ, роndѕ аnd fоuntаinѕ.
- Cоnѕtruсtiоn аnd inѕtаllаtiоn оf еquiрmеnt likе fеrnеriеѕ аnd bаrbесuеѕ. Sоmе оf thе intеrеѕting thingѕ thаt уоu mау inѕtаll inсludе рlау ѕtruсturеѕ аnd gаrdеn furniturе.
- Crеаting vаriоuѕ раthѕ, ѕtерѕ, аnd раvеd аrеаѕ. Thеу саn bе соnѕtruсtеd uѕing раving mаtеriаlѕ, grаvеl, аnd timbеr.
What is Gardening?
Gardening is the art and craft of growing plants with a goal of creating a beauty within the landscape. It can range from tending to a single plant to an entire garden with a variety of plants. In other words, gardening focuses mainly on health and well being of plants; it includes activities such as pest control, preparing bonsai, pruning, trailing etc. Gardening can be done by anyone with a keen interest and basic knowledge.
Activities Involved In Gardening
- Identify garden pests and plant diseases
- Soil testing and analysis
- Tree lopping
- Plant pruning
- Plant replacement
- Research on plant varieties
- Watering plants
- Fertilizing plants
- Potting and re-potting
Also Read: Difference Between Spade And Shovel
Difference Between Landscaping And Gardening In Tabular Form
|Basis of Comparison
|Landscaping is the art of organizing and enriching outdoor space with plants and structures for aesthetic purposes.
|Gardening is the practice of growing plants and can range from tending to a single plant to an entire garden with a variety of plants.
|It focuses mainly on aesthetic beauty of the garden, that is, design, planning and maintenance.
|Gardening focuses mainly on health and well being of plants.
|Landscaping involve outdoor building work such as driveways, patios, walls and similar work.
|It involves growing and caring for plants either in pots or on the ground.
|It is mostly done by professionals and landscape architects.
|Gardening can be done by anyone with a keen interest and basic knowledge.
|It requires specialized equipments.
|It requires simple tools.
|In landscaping land is covered with plants, stones and in some cases paint.
|In gardening land is primarily covered with beautiful arrangement of plants
|In landscaping techniques involve best use of cobbles, pebbles, stepping stones, benches etc.
|In gardening techniques such as preparing bonsai, pruning, trailing etc are used in tending plants.
|Landscape designers can sketch a design for a garden and determine a plant list.
|Gardeners plant, weed, replace and harvest the plants.
|Landscaping is quite not involving because landscaped spaces require little to no maintenance throughout the year.
|Gardening is an ongoing activity because plants require tending and specialized care, not only throughout the year but with
Similarities Between Gardening And Landscaping
- They both involve creating and maintaining functional, aesthetically pleasing outdoor spaces.
- Both require some basic knowledge
- Both entail putting together plants and other related features to create a design.
Also Read: Difference Between Squash And Pumpkin