Many people find cactus plants to be a great addition to their home, office, or outdoors spaces. Cactus plants come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes. One of the most popular types of cactus plants is the Thanksgiving and Christmas cactus. Although they look very similar, there are a few differences between these plants. We’ll be going over the differences between these two types of cactus plants.
What is the thanks giving cactus?
The thanks giving cactus is a succulent that is native to South Africa. The succulent gets its name from the fact that it blooms during the month of November – close to the American holiday of Thanksgiving. The thanks giving cactus has a rosette of green leaves that are arranged in a spiral pattern. The leaves are covered in tiny white hairs, which give the plant a fuzzy appearance. The flowers of the thanks giving cactus are a beautiful orange color and are quite fragrant.
What many people don’t know is that the Thanksgiving cactus is actually a type of succulent. Unlike other succulents, the Thanksgiving cactus doesn’t require a lot of light or water to thrive. In fact, it’s one of the easiest plants to care for! If you’re looking for a low-maintenance way to add some color to your home, consider adding a Thanksgiving cactus to your indoor garden.
What is Christmas Cactus
Christmas cactus is a type of cactus that blooms around the Christmas holiday. It’s a popular houseplant because it’s easy to care for and doesn’t require a lot of light. Christmas cactus can be identified by its long, sharp thorns and its brightly-colored blooms. The flowers typically come in shades of pink, red, or white, and they can last for up to two months. Christmas cactus is a succulent, meaning it stores water in its leaves. This helps it thrive in dry environments, making it a good choice for those who don’t have a lot of time to water their plants.
Since it’s native to South America, the perfect conditions to keep them thriving indoors are plenty of bright light and just enough water when they’re in bloom. It blooms in December and January, so you can enjoy their vibrant colors all through winter without having to worry about them fading before spring arrives!
Christmas cactus is a beautiful and festive plant that can add life to any room during the holiday season. You can find these plants at most garden centers or home improvement stores this time of year. When shopping for a Christmas cactus, make sure to look for one that has healthy, green leaves and is free from any pests or damage.
- The Christmas cactus has more pointed leaves and the tips are often red or green. The Thanksgiving cactus has rounder leaves and the tips are usually a light green.
- The Christmas cactus is native to Brazil while Thanksgiving cactus is native to the South American grasslands.
- The Thanksgiving cactus has a more elongated shape and typically has red, orange or yellow blooms. The Christmas cactus is more round and typically has red, pink or white blooms.
- The Thanksgiving cactus blooms in the fall, usually in November, while the Christmas cactus blooms in December or January.
- The Christmas cactus is a bit hardier than the Thanksgiving cactus and can tolerate a bit more neglect.
- Christmas cactus require significantly less water than Thanksgiving cactus. In fact, overwatering a Christmas cactus is one of the most common ways to kill it.
- Christmas cacti are typically more colorful than Thanksgiving cacti, and they have a more star-like shape.
- Thanksgiving cactus is drought tolerant whereas Christmas cactus is less drought tolerant.
- The Christmas cactus has longer spines whereas Thanksgiving cactus has shorter spines.
- Both plants like a warm environment and should be kept out of direct sunlight.
Also Read: Difference Between Landscaping And Gardening