Below is an alphabetical list of animals that start with X. These animals are found all over the world, which is one of the many things that makes them all so unique. Each animal has an interesting fact to go with it.
Birds That Start With X
- Xantus’s hummingbird– is a medium-sized hummingbird endemic to the Baja California Peninsula.
- Xantus’s murrelet– This is a small seabird found in the California Current system in the Pacific Ocean. It has a small black and white auk with a small head and thin sharp bill. It resembles the closely related Scripps’s and Craveri’s murrelet, with which it shares the distinction of being the most southerly living of all the auk species.
- Xavier’s greenbul– This is a species of songbird in the bulbul family, Pycnonotidae. It is found in central Africa. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests and subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests.
- xeme – The Xeme is a small gull that is easy to identify through its striking wing pattern. The adult has a pale grey back and wing coverts, black primary flight feathers, and white secondaries. The white tail is forked.
- Xinjiang ground-jay– Small ground jay found in China, also known as Biddulph’s ground jay. Pale brownish overall, with black-and-white wing and a thick black mustache which broadens and curves up towards the face. Runs swiftly, chasing down invertebrates and reptiles.
Fish & Aquatic Names That Start With X
- xantic sargo– The Xantic Sargo (Anisotremus davidsonii) is a member of the grunt fish family that produces “grunting” sounds by rubbing together their flat teeth plates. Its body is mostly silver except for the single brown or black vertical stripe on each side and the rather bronzy tinge on the top side of its prominently white lateral line. As for the fins, the caudal fin is slightly forked and the two-segment dorsal fin is spiny, both of which are colored dark brown to black. Its pectoral, pelvic, and anal fins are much lighter in color.
- Xantus’ swimming crab– Xantus’ swimming crab.The swimming crabs have modified rear legs with broad paddles at the end which are used to swim. There are several different species found in our waters. This one can be identified by the longer, sharp spines along the sides of its body and a prominent spine on each claw.
- xeric ambersnail – is a large genus of small, air-breathing land snails, terrestrial pulmonate gastropod molluscs in the family Succineidae. Species in this genus usually live in damp habitats such as marshes. The common name refers to the fact that live snails in this genus are translucent and similar to amber in appearance.
- xestus sabretooth blenny– is a species of combtooth blenny found in coral reefs in the Pacific and Indian Ocean.
- Xingu corydoras– The Xingu corydoras (Corydoras xinguensis) is a tropical freshwater fish belonging to the subfamily Corydoradinae of the family Callichthyidae. It originates in inland waters in South America, and is found in the upper Xingu River basin in
- Xingu River ray– The Xingu River ray, white-blotched river stingray, or polka-dot stingray (Potamotrygon leopoldi) is a species of freshwater fish in the family Potamotrygonidae. It is endemic to the Xingu River basin in Brazil and prefers rocky bottoms. It is sometimes kept in aquaria. The Xingu river ray is a venomous stingray that contains venom localized at its dentine spine in its tail.
- x-ray tetra– The X-Ray Tetra is also known as the Golden Pristella Tetra and the Water Goldfinch due to the faint golden coloration of their translucent skin.
Reptiles & Amphibians That Start With X
- Xantus leaf-toed gecko– A medium-sized gecko with large eyes without movable eyelids and vertical pupils.
- Xolocalca bromeliad salamander – is a species of salamander in the family Plethodontidae. It is endemic to Chiapas, Mexico, and only known from its type locality, Cerro Ovando.
- Xucaneb robber frog– also known as Craugastor xucanebi, frog native to Guatemala with a fleshy belly.
Butterfly Names That Start With X
- Xami hairstreak– is a tailed species of butterfly that has a wingspan range of 2.38 to 2.86 cm. In appearance, the underside of the hindwing is yellowish green; the wing also contains the postmedian white line, which is the discernible colored line located posterior to the middle of the wing, that forms a W-shape toward the tails of the butterfly.
- Xeniades swallowtail– black butterfly with white and red spots on wings. The species native to the Americas.
- Xenoclea longwing– is a black longwing butterfly with bold orange bands and yellow singluar streak in their hindwing.
- Xenocrates leafwing– Butterfly with grey or black wings with blue highlights. This species inhabit the canopy, but with rare occurrence in central Amazonia.
Scientific Names for Animals That Start With X
- Xenarthra– superorder of mammals like sloths, anteaters and armadillos
- Xenobalistes – the genus of triggerfish
- Xenocephalus– the genus of bony fish
- Xenocyprioides– the genus of cyprinid fish
- Xenomys nelsoni – scientific name of Magdalena rat found in Mexico
- Xenopterus naritus– scientific name of golden puffer fish
- Xenopterygii– the name for bony fishes in the family Gobiesocidae
- Xenopus– the genus of aquatic frogs in Africa
- Xenosaurus– the genus of lizards
- Xenotilapia– the genus of cichlid fish in Africa
- Xerus – scientific name of an African ground squirrel with short ears and long tail
- Xestochilus nebulosus– scientific name for species of eel
- Xiphias gladius– swordfish’s scientific name
- Xolmis dominicanus– the scientific name of white and black monjita bird, found in South America
- Xyelacyba myersi – the scientific name for gargoyle cusk a type of eel
- Xyliphius– banjo catfish genus
- Xyrias – snake eel genus
- Xystreurys– the genus of large tooth flounder fish
General List of Animals that Start with X
- Xantus murrelet
- Xantus’ swimming crab
- Xuthus swallowtail
- Xingu river ray
- Xantic sargo
- X-Ray tetra